[drupal-devel] install text upgrading section in the wrong order?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Mar 25 16:22:30 UTC 2005

> Can you put the reason in?  Or maybe, big letters, *essential*, because
> it sounds fairly so.  All of the steps are essential of course, but that
> one is a little counter intuitive, I don't know why I'm doing it.  Does
> this not work if you have cookies disabled?

I'm not sure I like the idea of including the "cookies" or "session"
terminology in the INSTALL.txt. Do we really think people need to know
this? My expectation is that people want to /upgrade as fast as possible/
(as usually, an upgrade is "downtime"), and thus, are less than curious
about why a particular step as needed. On the other hand, if there was a
feature *inside* Drupal that required them to rationalize about cookies /
session, then yeah, I could see a mention being required.

I'm willing for the following revision:

  2. Log on as the user with user ID 1. You'll need to be this
     user to complete the final step of the upgrading process.

which rationalizes its importance, without any scary terms.

Regarding "cookies disabled" - that I don't know.

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
Spidering Hacks: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005776/disobeycom