[drupal-devel] hi, etc

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Tue Mar 29 16:22:06 UTC 2005

Hi Adrian:

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:53:03PM +0200, Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> I hope you won't be too displeased with the fact that we've deprecated
> our PEAR db
> support
> Drupal aims to have as few dependencies as possible, and it will take a
> lot of
> convincing the get Drupal dependent on any PEAR packages =).

I understand your concerns.  I think the benefits of supporting a broad
range of DBMS's outweighs such concerns because abstraction allows the end
users more flexibility.  Do note, I'm not lobbying for you to change
anything, just commenting.

> >One more thing I would like to do is make multi-site installations
> >easier
> >by providing scripts for performing the table name prefix
> >substitutions.
>
> The new install system being prepared for 4.7 will handle this
> automagically for the user,
> but patches for the time being would be very welcome.

Nice.  Is this new install system stuff in CVS yet or is it only
theoretical at this point?  If in CVS, where?  If not, do you have any
code yet?  If so, give me a peak.  I'm asking because why should anyone
(aka ME :) spend time whipping up something if someone else has already
done the work? :)

Thanks,

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/