[drupal-devel] PHPTemplate hits core ... finally

Ber Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Fri May 6 17:54:00 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have been debating this with darix a few times already, but:
1) moving from CVS to SVN must be done when the majority is ready for
that. We
should thus
  1.1) investigate if there are people not at all ready for a move
  1.2) investigat who will help with the move. it should never be only on
the shoulders of those few who already have a lot on their shoulders
(i.e. Dries, kjartan and Steven).

2) If ever we move, we should do it good. Thus look for ALL alternatives,
not just look at SVN, because its the closest at hand.

IMO SVN is nothing more then a revised CVS. The real problems are not
solved, only made a little easier to deal with.
SVN continues on a road that, IMO, is not the perfect road for Open source
collaboration. The fact that Drupal developement is very much
decentralised, non hierarchical and above all voluntary, should be
reflected by the
RCS we choose to use. SVN gets closer then CVS, but IMO (by far) not close
enough. Again, i see it as a slightly improved CVS. but nothing more.

I have been looking around, and read about DARCS
(http://abridgegame.org/darcs/) A system that is build purely with
decentralized, vuluntary, non-hierarchical communities in mind. IMO it
gets much closer to our ideal workflow then SVN will ever get us.

And yes, I know its easy to sort-of emulate darcs at the client side,
while using SVN on the server, but that does not solve the whole idea of
SVN simply not being suited enough for Drupals structure and comm. (/.
http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/11/25/0136249.shtml?tid=156&tid=218)

O, and afaik darcs is about the easiest to learn from the oss RCSs.
(http://zooko.com/revision_control_quick_ref.html)

But that does not mean we should go for darcs, just now. I simply try to
point out we should look at all options, not just choose one, 'cause its
been chosen a lot, and thus is the first at hand. We should research, and
then choose the best for our system.

Ber