[drupal-devel] Admin Help writing instructions - 60 patches coming soon

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Tue May 17 14:56:31 UTC 2005

>> And here I just translated Drupal to Afrikaans and now all the help
>> texts get updated. Bah! This will be a good time to figure out how
>> to MAINTAIN an update. I have only started from scratch.

> You can merge your translations against POT files from a later version
> and msgmerge will try to fit good matches to the new strings from the
> old ones.

A brief search for "msgmerge" got about 10000 results, and when refining this, I finally heard of one for Windows, but it is part of the Cygwin package. Isn't there a stand-alone Windows port of msgmerge that anyone know of? Once I get it, I will

>> I also have questions with regards to translating contributed
>> modules. Where do we put them? Are these translations sent to the
>> module developers directly?

> They are put into a /po subdirectory. You need to create a POT file
> first using the phpextractor script. Mail me if you want one for
> specific contrib modules.

I don't have CVS access, and I won't get it, so I can translate it, but can't put it in the /po subdirectory. I will play around with the extractor, so that I can do this myself, because I need to learn somehow, sometime :)

Maybe I should invest a bit of time in getting myself a Linux machine. I have installed Linux once, but that is the same as saying I have installed Windows. Heh... Any fool can install it, but can any fool install it (and set it up) RIGHT?

I have only translated Core, but another South African, Tiaan, has translated several modules. Since I can't upload it, can we do it again as we did the previous time with my translations, Gerhard? I will upload one zip file with all the translations.

Regards,

Kobus