[development] FYI more drupal.css stuff

Jose A. Reyero jareyero at wanadoo.es
Sun Nov 13 12:59:18 UTC 2005

Ber Kessels wrote:

>NOTE: this is talk, not code!
>
>I ran drupal.css trough http://cdburnerxp.se/cssparse/css_optimiser.php a great tool. And it compressed drupal.css up to ~30% (unreadable CSS). But the standard, readable version compresses it still 23%!
>That is 2632 Bytes less for every uncached pageview. I certainly will use this tool on my server.

Not really. I think stylesheets are usually cached by the browser, and
they're not reloaded unless you click on 'reload page'

>But it could also ship the compressed one by default with drupal, not? It would mean that we have an unreadable drupal.css (but who reads it anyway :P) but that we can save some bandwith.

I really prefer working with the actual file that is being used. If we
want to compress something, better strip out all that php comments that
are parsed for every page :-)

About css's, as they can be always overridden by the theme, you can try
to merge all of them together in an optimized one for your production
sites -all that css element's overriding is what actually takes time
when rendering the pages...