[development] Drupal 4.7.0 update

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Tue Nov 15 16:49:46 UTC 2005

Hello world,

- I opened up the use of the DRUPAL-4-7 tag for contributed projects
(not for core).  Thus, if you maintain a module, theme or
translation, you can create a DRUPAL-4-7 branch.  Because Drupal HEAD
and Drupal 4.7 are still one and the same, it's probably premature to
branch your project (unless you want to rewrite your project for
Drupal 4.8.0).  Also, the DRUPAL-4-7 tarballs won't be packaged for
another week or so.

- I haven't released a Drupal 4.7 release candidate yet because I
feel we're still dealing with too many (critical) bugfixes.  We need
a base level of stability and confidence before we can roll out a
release candidate.  Nonetheless, Drupal HEAD is getting more and more
stable every day so keep reporting and fixing those bugs.  It is the
one path to a Drupal 4.7.0 release (candidate).  I think we might be
able to roll a release candidate as soon as next week.

- As of tomorrow, I'm not likely to make any more API or database
changes, unless deemed important.  (I might make an exception for
some of the pending patches/work but I'm not likely to consider _new_
patches that add _new_ functionality.)  I'll be more strict, and that
implies that some patches will not make it into Drupal 4.7.0.

- In good tradition, I plan to upgrade Drupal.org to the release
candidate as soon as possible.  I'm currently waiting for the
simplenews.module to be "forms API"-ified, and I have yet to port
some drupal.org specific modules/pages (eg. the one that generates
http://drupal.org/mailing-lists/).  Chances are that the
cvslog.module needs more work as well -- haven't checked.  As soon we
can upgrade, we'll be able to roll out the improved search module.
All in all, it's probably going to take another 2-3 weeks though
before we can attempt to upgrade drupal.org.