[development] One core, many distributions

Jose A. Reyero jareyero at wanadoo.es
Tue Nov 22 12:47:52 UTC 2005

Hi Fehér,

Fehér János wrote:

>I think, i18n functions should be handled by the core. The problem
>of a multilanguage site is too global to handle by an outside module.

I agree. I am the module maintainer.

>Just look to the ecommerce module (locations, zones for taxes, etc.)
>or node translations (there's no "good" association between the
>translation and the original node) or menu.module. You have to patch
>the core if you'd like to get the existing i18n to work.

The next version -4.7- won't need patches anymore -unless we want to go
for some new features, of course...

>On the whole, I'd like to see i18n in the core.

Well, that one, let's take it easy. The current i18n.module has too many
hacks and workarounds to avoid core patches, and would need to be
reworked to be a core module.
But we are making progress :-) Quite slowly though :-(

Hope to see you around helping and supporting the idea of 'multilingual
Drupal' -whatever form -module, core...- it takes at the end :-)

Cheers,

Jose