[drupal-devel] reviews needed

Chris Cook beerfan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 02:55:06 UTC 2005

On 10/5/05, David Angier <david at angier.co.uk> wrote:
> 2. Wordpress calls the field "post slug" along with a path-auto style
> prefilled text field.  This name has no direction relation to technical
> meaning of the concept.  But, I can find no debate on the Wordpress
> forums as to its meaning.  By divorcing the name from the technical
> jargon, and auto populating it the appear to have successfully
> sidestepped the debate. (But the post slug only becomes part of the URL
> if the permalinks global option is configured to use it).

If I recall correctly (I haven't gone to look up the original thread),
this debate started because it was asserted that 'custom URL' was in
common use among other equivelent systems and Drupal's using a
different term was confusing.

We have now heard of many CMS systems using something very different
from 'custom URL' and this is suddenly the preferred route for some.
Drupal uses terminology which is accurate of its implementation and
uses words (URL, alias) that most agree are commonly understood by the
relatively internet savvy (those who would be contributing to a
website for example).

In my opinion this debate has no focus and the issue should be left
for another release following appropriate usability studies. I believe
that some of the prompts surrounding this feature could be better
worded but the changes being discussed seem inappropriate based on the
arguments I've heard so far.

Cheers,
Chris