[drupal-devel] author your slides with Drupal next time

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Wed Sep 21 21:46:19 UTC 2005

Hi Gabor,

On 20-Sep-05, at 2:23 AM, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> Last fall, Walkah announced an S5 module in the works
> (http://bryght.com/node/121), which was a proof of concept, but was
> never actually released as far as I know. I was way too excited about
> the possibilities, and given that my repeated requests resulted in no
> code from Walkah (due to the apparent reason of not enough time), I
> sat
> down this weekend, and put together a simple module for S5 authoring
> with the book module. The module is now in Drupal CVS
> (http://drupal.org/cvs?commit=19502)

sorry to not get back to you sooner, I have been kind of heads down,
and not keeping fully up on my email :(

Yes, I never released my module because, frankly, I think it had some
serious flaws.

> I know reusing books is still not the ideal solution for slide
> authoring, but since only book has an outline editor in Drupal, it was
> the quickest to use, and I am going to have a presentation on Drupal
> this weekend, so I only had this much time. I have ideas for futher
> improvements (actually either creating a better outline editor for
> books, or abandoning books).

yes, well it turns out to be very not ideal. In addition to s5
needing some pretty strict formatting guidelines, you also can't
print an s5 presentation to PDF (for example) - which is required for
most conference speakers... you also can't link to a single slide, e.g.

Anyway, I had quite a few reasons for not releasing my code - but
primarily it was a one off "because I could" - and few people (ok,
except for moshe... and vlado) really showed an interest.

I think long term, though, we might want to look at something more
like the PHP presentation system - for http://talks.php.net i thin
ideally, we'd do this as "part of a drupal site" (i.e. slide
nodes) ... but we could probably re-use some of their code..
--
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/