[drupal-devel] two minor usability issues, introduced recently

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Sun Sep 25 10:06:32 UTC 2005

At 11:01 AM +0200 25/9/05, Bèr Kessels wrote:

>MBstring support? This seems to Just Work, why do I need a collapsed form
>element telling me it works? Joe user (and I) should not be bothered with
>form options that are no options.

I get a message:

"String handling method:
Standard PHP: operations on Unicode strings are emulated on a
best-effort basis. Install the PHP mbstring extension for improved
Unicode support."

This is information I need to know. And if I was having trouble
with string handling, this is where I would look for something
to tweak.

>Therefore I think this RSS setting should live under settings >> RSS settings,
>so that contribs can add LOCAL_TASKS or so. The current placement requires
>any other RSS setting (by a contrib) to be placed elsewhere.

As a new Drupal admin it seems to me that if a module has settings
then it creates a new settings pane like: ?q=admin/settings/pathauto

I think I would be confused if modules started adding extra setting
options into existing settings panes. Are there existing examples
of this sort of behaviour?

>Scattered
>settings are one of the mayor usability issues in Drupal.

That sure is the truth!

 ...R.