[drupal-devel] two minor usability issues, introduced recently

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Sun Sep 25 10:29:01 UTC 2005

On Sunday 25 September 2005 12:06, Richard Archer wrote:
> I get a message:

Well /i/ get a message that it is all fine. I dont want to know what went
wrong, nor what went correct. I have my watchdog for that mainly. I we are
going to display all settings that were correctly set, we'd have a huge
amount of information.

> This is information I need to know. And if I was having trouble
> with string handling, this is where I would look for something
> to tweak.

So, if it went wrong, you could have gotten an error. That would have helped
you a lot, yet would not have left me going 'why the .. do i want to know
that mbstring is correct'.

> As a new Drupal admin it seems to me that if a module has settings
> then it creates a new settings pane like: ?q=admin/settings/pathauto
> I think I would be confused if modules started adding extra setting
> options into existing settings panes. Are there existing examples
> of this sort of behaviour?
>
> >Scattered
> >settings are one of the mayor usability issues in Drupal.
>
> That sure is the truth!

Case: node aggregator has some settings for this: how many feed entries to
show etc. Now the current thing would enforce me to make a second page for
RSS settings. Users should not have to visit two pages in different places to
set their RSS settings. Users should definately not have to think about the
diff. between modules and core, and then find out where modules have settins
and where core has its settings.

Ber