[development] Re: [CS dev] Preview - Node Visibility by Multisite and CSS Hover Pop-out Menus

Lists listout at accidentaltechie.org
Sun Apr 2 00:22:24 UTC 2006

"Sohodojo Jim" wrote:

> Neither of these developments is ready for prime-time release yet, but I
> wanted to give a preview in the event that folks are interested. The two
> things I have developed are:
>
>    * a node_visibility_bysite module
>    * CSS hover-based pop-out menus
>
> The node_visibility_bysite module uses a taxonomy vocabulary together with a
> "selective shared table database" multisite configuration to implement a
> "site/sub-site" shared content platform.
[...and...]
> We're using this to support a "contribute once, publish at "either or both"
> sites

Nice idea, and one that I could find useful.

> More general applications of this capability
> would be a headquarters with a branch offices/stores network, or a community
> organization with affiliate chapters. Using a shared taxonomy vocabulary, you
> can implement a flexible rule-set for where node content should be visible.

Yes, very reasonable scenarios for this feature need.

> Questions and suggestions welcome on- or off-list. I am especially interested
> in Mac and Linux reports of the CSS Hover pop-out menu behavior as I only have
> Windows with Firefox, Opera, and MSIE browsers for testing.

>    http://jeffcociviccenter.org/
>    http://theencoreplayers.com/

Jim, here's a Macintosh report for you (and for others who may wish to use
the csshover.htc script tools for Drupal/CS).

Tested both URLs for left-side fly-out menu display and click-ability.

Works as expected in:

    FireFox 1.5
    Sea Monkey 1.0
    Safari 1.3.2
    Camino 1.0

Failed for:

    Internet Explorer 5.2.3  [ LOL! ]

    The menu does not load, but the 'box' of its space is properly
allocated, so the page layout is not affected. The left side area where the
menu should appear is simply solid white.

I'd say things pass with flying colors, from the Mac view.  IE is not an
issue, of course.  It's dead in the water and has been.  It's the least-used
browser on the least-used OS platform (so sad ;), so I think you're okay to
ignore this test as a failure.

HTH,
--
Gary