[development] Re: [CS dev] Preview - Node Visibility by Multisite and CSS Hover Pop-out Menus

Sohodojo Jim salmons at sohodojo.com
Sun Apr 2 21:49:19 UTC 2006

Gary and Dave,

	Thanks for the experience reports!

	Nedjo brought my attention to the Nice Menus module which is indeed nice.
Nice Menus, however, is a "Javascript for everybody on every page" solution.

	The csshover.htc script approach is _only_ Javascript for MSIE as a
work-around for its lack of full CSS compatibility. For most modern browsers
these menus are pure CSS, no scripting. So they work even if someone has
Javascript disabled. The csshover.htc file is conditionally loaded within
the template header only for MSIE clients.

	The intent here is to be very lightweight as an admin- and user-selectable
UI feature within the CivicSpace and/or PHPTemplate engine. A simple
"Pop-out menus on/off" link, like the "Change text size" block that the
fontsize module provides, is all that would be needed to turn this UI
feature on and off at will.

	For those wanting more info on Peterned's csshover menus, see:

	http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/csshover.html

	Thanks again, Gary and Dave, for the feedback.

	--Sohodojo Jim--