[development] Generic Authentication Bridging

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Mon Apr 17 03:01:03 UTC 2006

No, actually I was just thinking of possibly making small modifications to
core to allow site admin-selectable encryption or hashing algorithms for the
password, i.e. sort of a hook_hash() call.  Other flexibility can all be added
via a module, such as yours.  Core just seems like the right place that kind
of thing, but it could be added to sql_auth easily enough, I guess.

In general, I am thinking about what kind of core changes are needed to
support -- but not implement -- modular authentication schemes that
single-signon and enterprise-wide usage might need.  Maybe it will turn out
that there are no core changes needed at all (though I do think user.module
really needs refactoring), and everything can be done via modules, sql_auth
among them.

I'm just looking at the big picture because I'm interested in fitting Drupal
into the enterprise environment, and because someone else brought this topic
up and volunteered to do some work on it.

..chrisxj