[development] db_rewrite_sql question

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Tue Aug 15 21:19:00 UTC 2006

I wrote a module called cac_lite which provides simple access control for
users of the category module.  One of the things it does is rewrite sql
queries where the $primary_field is 'cid' (category id).

Now I've learned of another module (Comment RSS) that also calls
db_rewrite_sql with $primary_field 'cid'.  But in this case 'cid' stands for
comment id.

The effect is that cac_lite rewrites a sql query that it shouldn't rewrite.
So users can't have commentrss and cac_lite installed together.

The underlying problem is that implementers of hook_db_rewrite_sql have no
accurate test for what the fully-qualified primary field is.  They are passed
a $primary_table, but this is usually an alias of the table's real name.  For
instance, when commentrss calls it, $primary_table is 'c' and not 'comments'.
When category calls it, $primary_table is again 'c' and not 'category'.

What's a module to do when it recieves two calls to hook_db_rewrite_sql; in
both cases $primary_field is 'cid' and $primary_table is 'c', but in one case
the query needs re-writing and in the other it does not?

-Dave