[development] CVS HEAD, code freeze, zeitgeist

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Fri Aug 18 22:18:40 UTC 2006

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Chris Johnson wrote:
>
>> Now what do you do?  This is the road we are currently on, unless we
>> come up with a good solution.  A golden repository is one such solution.
>
> How would any golden repository fix human resources problems?

I believe the supposition for the golden repository is that core developers
would always make sure those modules got updated for a release, either by
doing the work themselves or ensuring someone else did.  That doesn't fix the
human resources problem of "too little manpower for the amount of work needing
doing" but it does raise some visibility and perhaps encourage a bit more
effort on getting a release ready rather than leaping off to the next cool new
feature to add to the following release.

But that's only my understanding of the golden repository suggestion.  It's
not my suggestion.