[development] Possibility of API *additions* post-code freeze?

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Sun Aug 20 05:12:01 UTC 2006

For this volunteer project I'm working on, I'm developing an install
profile. It occurs to me that there aren't really any nice ready-made
functions for doing a lot of basic stuff in Drupal like:

- Creating a role, with a given list of permissions
- Adding a user to a role
- Enabling an input format
- Turning on/off a block
- etc.

I can try and roll patches for these as I go, however this is
something I'm doing in my "spare" time so likely I won't have
encountered even 1/100th  of the possible optimizations by Sept 1,
and will have time for rolling patches for very few of them, if any.
And while I could create my own little helper module to define these,
that means a lot of copy/paste from core which is constantly
changing, so it makes sense for these changes to be in core. I could
see the addition of some of these API functions also being useful for
things like XML-RPC, and also for making it easier for people to
create their own Drupal distributions. Erm, usability? ;)

I'm wondering if it's possible to add functions like this to the API,
and change core to use them, post-code freeze? I know we normally
don't allow API changes, but this wouldn't be _changing_ anything,
per se.. people calling huge_gargantuan_function($op = something)
would still get the same behaviour. It's just that internally,
huge_gargantuan_function would be split it up into helper functions
that each did distinct things.

Just curious. :) Thanks.

-Angie