[development] Re: development Digest, Vol 44, Issue 148

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 16:03:04 UTC 2006

>> default body text should be _black_ #000000

vs.

>Main text color should stay as it is, otherwise it'll lose the affect.

Trae,

I'm going to really press on this one.  What effect?

Readability trumps other interface concerns.  That's why Google, Yahoo!,
Amazon, (and Drupal.org, and Buytaert.net) all use black-on-white.

Even Web 2.0 poster-children like Flickr use black-on-white for primary
text.

The purpose of body text is to be easy and simple to read.  For most people,
pure black on pure white is the best contrast, the most common, and the
easiest.

I've had this fight internally at my company as well, as our designers went
through a strong "Let's do everything in 6 shades of gray" phase.

Any design that deviates from black-on-white can never get a 5 from me.

- Ken Rickard
agentrickard

And for the record, my personal page:
http://ken.therickards.com/

Where 'gray' means 'of lesser importance' than the content you want to read.