[development] Confused: package value of info files

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Dec 21 02:37:04 UTC 2006

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I am not trying to muddy the water I am trying to clear the mud from the
> water before we have to drink it.  Check the info files already existing
> and you'll come to see what I mean.  A couple I have submitted patches
> for to remove them from "Core - Optional".  Besides, shouldn't we give
> the user a nice grouping for modules that are similar.  The sentence "If
> you assign a package string for your module, on the admin/build/modules
> page it will be listed with other modules with the same category." seems
> to indicate that this is desired.  It will give the user a better
> experience if the user has more than a handful of "Other" modules.
> Shouldn't the user see a grouping for Taxonomy for all of the modules
> dealing with Taxonomy?

No, overuse of this field results in a page where, for most users, you have 12
contrib modules enabled, each of them in their own category. This is of no
value whatsoever. Your use case (installing every module out there) is a rare
case and, well, tough. Making the normal case tougher to make your case easier
is not useful.