[development] Confused: package value of info files

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 21 04:03:09 UTC 2006

Quoting Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com>:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> I am not trying to muddy the water I am trying to clear the mud from
>> the water before we have to drink it.  Check the info files already
>> existing and you'll come to see what I mean.  A couple I have
>> submitted patches for to remove them from "Core - Optional".
>> Besides, shouldn't we give the user a nice grouping for modules that
>> are similar.  The sentence "If you assign a package string for your
>> module, on the admin/build/modules page it will be listed with other
>> modules with the same category." seems to indicate that this is
>> desired.  It will give the user a better experience if the user has
>> more than a handful of "Other" modules.  Shouldn't the user see a
>> grouping for Taxonomy for all of the modules dealing with Taxonomy?
>
> No, overuse of this field results in a page where, for most users,
> you have 12 contrib modules enabled, each of them in their own
> category. This is of no value whatsoever. Your use case (installing
> every module out there) is a rare case and, well, tough. Making the
> normal case tougher to make your case easier is not useful.

I will agree with this, to some extent.  But others have already
populated the package value incorrectly.  I do not think that it should
be left to "Whatever value I choose" and that the
http://drupal.org/node/64279 reference should more strongly suggest
that a value not be given.

I still think though that if I have more than one Taxonomy module
installed that it should give me a Taxonomy grouping in the menu.  So
we could smarten the menu display so that if we have only one module in
a package group the system will move the package value to Other and if
I install more than one it leaves it in the package grouping.  This
enhancement would eliminate the one package per grouping case that
actually currently exists and is really ugly.

Earnie