[development] Forms.module for 4.7

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon Feb 20 22:53:03 UTC 2006

Jeremy Epstein wrote:
> This new library (JotForm) looks amazing.. the demo on the website has
> me drooling all over my desk. BUT there's a big issue that concerns
> me...
>
> Licensing: what license is JotFrom released under? I couldn't find any
> reference to the license or terms of use anywhere on the site. All it
> says (in the FAQ) is that "During the beta period, it is completely
> free". Even that doesn't sound too promising: clearly, the author
> plans to charge for (at the very least) commercial use of the library.
> If so, JotForm will be neither a GPLed or a GPL-compatible
> application, and therefore we will not be able to use it in Drupal.
>
> Also, Ber, I too think you're overreacting. Nobody wants to jave a
> completely JS interface as the ONLY interface to anything in Drupal.
> If we ever did implement something like JotForm, it would only be as
> an alternative interface to, say, the underlying CCK API.
>
> Jaza.

You know, I quickly assumed JotForm was basically just a demo. It's clear that
the author of JotForm hopes to get something out of it. The thing is, I think
any number of talented developers around Drupal could put together something
that, perhaps not quite as slick and polished as that, would do very well for
Drupal. The core of JotForm is likely to be the HTML generation properties...and
a Drupal-specific tool wouldn't even need that. It'd just need to know what
gizmos and widgets Drupal has available and what attributes they support. Drupal
would do the rendering, and the front end would simply do the arranging.