[development] What would be more useful for install/etc

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Wed Feb 22 20:37:28 UTC 2006

On 22 Feb 2006, at 7:49 PM, Neil Drumm wrote:
> -Error avoidance. Module install and updates will happily go ahead
> and try to do things which are access denied and then think they
> are done. We need to check for access before doing these. One for
> each combinataion of alter/create and mysql/postgres to get started.

This is not a 4.7 thing, but I do believe we need to extend the db
api to include db_create_table, db_add_index and db_add_column
(including the db_drop_* of all these).
Doing this will get rid of those insipid if ($GLOBALS['db_type'])
conditionals, and provide a good place for checking these
permissions, including possible temporary database
credential escalation and very very very hopefully merge our two
database files (very very hopefully), meaning less code to maintain
(yay), and better support for postgres (yay)
and possibly a simpler path to supporting more database types.

--
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy