[development] 4.8/5.0: Modules, the install system, and directories

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Wed Feb 22 20:45:41 UTC 2006

On 22 Feb 2006, at 10:34 PM, Morbus Iff wrote:

> Hrm - I always thought the recommended behavior, Drupal and
> otherwise, was to copy the theme into a new directory and modify as
> needed. This was difficult with xtemplate, but not so much with
> phptemplate. Can we get away from this paradigm? "You have modified
> the bluemarine theme. This is generally unrecommended - consider
> reading this handbook page instead on how to properly theme Drupal." ?
Yeah. that was until the regions hook was introduced.

People are littering themes with mytheme_regions() now, which means
copying them kills the regions hook. That is if they are not already
themes to begin with.
I sincerely believe that themes should not have their own namespaces,
which is what the phptemplate_ namespace kind of of gets at.

By introducing functions for the meta info, it becomes unusable for
themes.

--
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy