[development] multisite shared table upgrade enhancements (was what would be more useful)

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Fri Feb 24 18:07:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:21:04PM -0500, Daniel Convissor wrote:

> Ouch.  Let's see if I can do something about that...
>
> My thought is to run the upgrade once.  Have the process obtain all of the
> prefix names by parsing all the sites/settings.php files up front.  I do
> something along these lines in the Database Table Creation Script:
>
>     http://drupal.org/files/issues/create.php.v2.txt
>     http://drupal.org/node/20530

Was hoping for a little feedback from folks here on that idea.

Uh, okay, no takers yet, so let me be more direct. :)

* Are the core developers interested in having multi-site support in the
update process?  (I mean, why work on something just to have it go
nowhere, right?)

* What do you think is a better/more workable/more Drupal-like approach:

a) put an option in the process that the user can select (in
update_selection_page(), I guess) that tells the system to update all
tables in the database, not just those for the present site.

b) an option for the user to say whether to update the shared tables or
not.  This way, the user will update each site in each site's interface,
but the user will only select the shared table run one time.

c) other ideas?

Thanks,

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/