[development] CVS accounts

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Thu Jan 5 08:47:23 UTC 2006

On 5-Jan-06, at 12:38 AM, Robert Douglass wrote:

> Dries Buytaert wrote:
>
>> Chances are that the cvs.module's import code suffers from some bit
>> rot so if someone wants to prepare or test the cvs.module's import
>> code, that would be much appreciated.
>
> It would be helpful if there were some really good documentation on
> how to use Drupal to run a site like Drupal.org. I'd have to work
> pretty hard to set up the project module and cvs.module with my
> current skills, and not knowing exactly how Drupal.org runs and
> operates is another hurdle.
>
> Drupal is a vastly successful project. Part of the reason why it is
> successful is the infrastructure that has been created to support
> development and participation. It seems to me like this
> infrastructure would probably work well for a number of other
> projects as well, yet I've never heard of or seen anyone running a
> setup like Drupal.org.
>
> Maybe we'd get more people involved in the tools like project and
> cvs modules if we made it easier to set up other projects and sites
> with Drupal.org infrastructure. This would take a bit of
> documentation and marketing.

I have never gotten a currently tagged version of project module to
run with a current version of Drupal out of the box. Even using a CVS
version meant lots of (nasty) bugs...I suspect this is because
Drupal.org (along with project.module) always runs close to head and
project.module maintainers hadn't been diligent about tagging/
branching. With all the recent work by nedjo, it's shaping up nicely
-- thanks (and to the man behind the curtain, Kieran, for sponsoring
that).

An "open source community" install profile/recipe *would* be great.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595