[development] websiteoptimization.com css size

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Fri Jan 6 22:23:41 UTC 2006

> Actually Ber, you bring up a very valid point.
>
> Why does Drupal ship with drupal.css and etc? Isn't that just
> a file for themers to use? Why should they have to write
> overrides to get that crud out if they don't want it?
> Shouldn't it be the other way around, write a file to include
> it if they so desire?

Simple: because Drupal is not JUST a development framework. It is, out
of box, a functional web site CMS. A lot of stuff that we take for
granted (having an 'edit' tab when we have perms to change a node, for
example) are handled by that CSS file. Obviously, there's a case of
creep somewhere along the line as unecessary CSS code snuck in that goes
way beyond those basics. All the styles for drawing archive.module's
calendar, for example, would best be moved into archive.css and included
as needed IMO.

Come to think of it, that's a nice idea for a patch.

But, to return to the question, eliminating all CSS from core would be a
definite mistake IMO. Stripping down drupal.css to a bare minimum,
though? I'm all for that.

--Jeff