[development] Path mapping system

gunnar gunnar at langemark.com
Wed Jan 18 20:12:23 UTC 2006

I can't give you any specifics, but I believe that the load on both CPU, RAM,
and Bandwidth depends a lot on what modules are enabled, how much content you
have, and how you treat search engine crawlers.
Crawlers can generate a lot of traffic. Some modules take more ram than
others. And cron jobs are a burden if you have a lot of aggregation - so
adding 200 sites to an aggregator and setting them to update once an hour is
not the way to avoid CPU usage. Especially not if they are set to do it at the
same specific time.

There's the throttle module which will be able to "cut off" traffic if it
becomes too heavy. I sometimes have close to 200 concurrent users (no not
every day.. and it is including the aggregator) - and I let the throttle kick
in at 120 (I think). That makes my site a little faster, and I guess it is
also nice to the CPU usage.

So I guess the answer will be: That depends.

However, you've got to take my answer with a grain of salt, as I'm really no
expert on these matters.
How do you get a better answer?
Try to be more specific. What modules, what content, how do you treat crawlers
(robots.txt) etc.

Best
Gunnar

> Hi, I'm also a dreamhoster who is just getting into Drupal. I'm in
> the process of developing a drupal website
> (http://test.cubiclearmy.com) and am wondering if you know the load
> a Dreamhost Drupal website can take before it hits the 30-40 cpu
> minutes. It is a little hard for me to guess since the site isn't
> live, but it has the potential to have hundreds of visitors a day. I
> can't afford dedicated hosting unless those hundreds of visitors a
> day will make enought AdSense traffic to justify the dedicated box
> (which I doubt). Thanks for any insights.
>
> On 12/29/05, Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com> wrote:

> > per
> > >
> > > There are such hosts? OMG...
> > >

> > It's a tough debate - I use dreamhost which follows a limiting policy:
> >
> > https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/?area=2583
> >
> > "We still track them[number of queries and connections], but unless
> > you're in the top .01% of our database users, you'll never need to
> > worry about conuery usage again!"
> >
> > The good side is that it keeps the server under a reasonable load and
> > my server doesn't get bogged down by some custom application that has
> > horrible performance.  The downside is that long before you fill up
> > the transfer/month or disk space or...you will use up your 30-40
> > minutes of CPU time/day.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> --
> Proud member of the KEXP cubicle army.