[development] using #downloads for quality of modules

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Wed Jan 25 03:21:49 UTC 2006

At 4:42 PM -0800 24/1/06, ae2005 wrote:

>one quick proxy for measuring quality of modules could be number of
>downloads, like the list kieran posted. presumably the most downloaded
>ones are relatively stable, due to research and filtering done by
>individuals first.

I downloaded all the image modules trying to find a good one.
So they all got a hit, and if I were to rate them none would
score more than 5/10.

The high number of downloads of all the image modules simply
reflects a strong demand for image handling. Not the quality
of the modules.

To give useful feedback as to quality we would need a manual
rating system, or Gordon's suggestion of a "phone home" with
a list of installed and enabled modules

 ...Richard.