[development] Reboot the PHP filter talk

Syscrusher scott at 4th.com
Mon Jan 30 04:09:53 UTC 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 17:14, Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> Ber's patch is a true Drupal solution (mine is not). It factors out the
> PHP filter to another module and let's you decide whether you want a more
> secure site with this module off (even removed!) or you want to continue
> where you are currently.

Notwithstanding my earlier comments, I'm pretty much okay with this plan. Ber
made a good point about the multi-site installation. I run a number of Drupal
sites, but they are all on different hosts so I don't instinctively think in
terms of multi-site installation.

Installing one extra module is not that big a deal, if it brings a big benefit
to other installation types. The one thing that I do feel strongly is that
it *should* be possible -- if one wishes -- to do pages with embedded code,
without having to write a module. I have several sites where I am the only
administrator and need to do simple queries into other non-Drupal applications.
I'd hate to have to maintain a module just to support a dozen lines of
actual code, where that code isn't dependent on Drupal functionality.

So I'll concede Ber's point as long as the separate module's installation
puts me back where I am today.

I find it interesting to see how many _qualitatively_ different ways there are
to use Drupal -- that speaks well of Drupal's versatility.

Scott