[development] Patches 4.8 - New Theme

Trae McCombs traemccombs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 03:17:03 UTC 2006

Hold on there cowboy... :)

On 7/10/06, sime <info at urbits.com> wrote:

> (First rant)
>
> While everyone is discussing whether a "3-column CSS layout template for
> developers" is achievable - I think this development process arse-up.
> Discussing implementation issues in absence of something to implement is
> wasting time.

I've missed some of this discussion, so I hope I don't sound too misinformed
when I say I think you are wrong...  read below.

Our trialling users, Fantastico users, non-techie administrators, they
> want a new "sexy" theme as one of the defaults. For that reason, the
> focus has to be on the design first, and therefore we the tools are
> Photoshop, Fireworks or GIMP - *not* CSS and HTML. I'm sure we'd have 10
> great candidates designs within a week if an announcement went in the
> forums. Or let's just expand on a great looking Wordpress theme. Or
> let's just have a vote on the best looking contrib theme.

Making a pretty design (I prefer inkscape btw. ;)  Is an easy thing to do.
Having a sane base that all themers can use to build thier theme is what we
should be solving.  I worked for a while on this with Ted (m3avrck) and
Robin (mozillaman)
and we didn't get very far.

Recently, Rowan (rkerr) has released his "foundation" theme.  It is a great
step in the right direction.  It is where we need to go.  We ultimately need
a flexible system that will let us warp and twist the regions to a point
where we, the themers, can then take our pretty themes and simply start
building it once we have our wireframe set like we like it.  Building the
wireframe, that works with Drupal, is typically the biggest obstacle.

It's easy to do the gfx, the hard part is hanging your CSS on a properly
built frame that Drupal doesn't barf on when it views forms, forums, admin,
etc....

flames > /dev/null

After we have the design, we can knock ourselves out with the

--
    Trae McCombs || http://occy.net/
  Founder - Themes.org // Linux.com