[development] Patches 4.8 - New Theme

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Tue Jul 11 23:49:09 UTC 2006

I would like to pipe in here with a dissent. While it's a nice idea
that design is 100% CSS, the simple fact is that is not the case, and
never will be, with any dynamic CMS. You need other coding skills in
order to call up the content, or simply manage the content that is
pushed at you.

Not only that, until we have 100% CSS-compliant browser usage out
there, the real world will not cooperate with 100% CSS themes except
for the kinds of layouts that lend themselves to the CSS logic in
ways IE doesn't break. (I'll just leave alone the religious arguments
about CSS-only layouts.)

I agree 100% that Drupal needs some sexy themes.

I also agree that Drupal needs to focus on code base and implementing
a really smart theming system (phpTemplate2?) as was hinted at in the
global skypecast echofest.

As I see it, these are two very important goals that are equally
important, imho, each for its own reasons -- sharp design because,
right or wrong, design is the #1 way people judge a website's
credibility, and solid code because we want to have a theming system
that provides for the most flexibility, modularity and theming power
for the designer -- but these are goals that do not come from the
same place, and therefore can only converge in a kind of development
tango dance.

In other words, it will take some cooperation and communication while
pushing in both directions. Pushing on one while ignoring the other
would be nothing but missed opportunity, in my view.

Aside: Getting beyond the One Theme To Unite Them All notion, I would
even suggest that we consider opening up the theme garden (or some
variant on it) to enable non-CVS contributions to Drupal, in order to
make it easy for designers to contribute all sorts of designs. (In
other words, design the theme development side to afford design
contributions.)

Laura