[development] install system

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Jul 13 21:28:51 UTC 2006

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> I have seen a great demand for the enhanced archive.module by
> codemonkeyx to get into core. Although I am fine with the archive
> module in core currently, it does not seem so that it has any future,
> so I figured I better put time into *some* archive functionality for
> core, so that this stuff is kept. Whether this is a relatively narrow
> application module I don't know, it will be decided by the community.
> Maybe my efforts will go unused. Maybe someone will use the enhanced
> archive module even if cck+views+event provides a more generic
> all-covering solution, as you suggested.
For what it's worth, on just 'archive' functionality, which is based
upon post date, CCK & Event aren't necessary. Those were only suggested
because it seemed like you meant something more, and to add arbitrary
dates.

For more normal use, Views does some pretty good archive stuff all on
its own. Dunno if that's still overkill or not, but that was a big
reason why Views was written in the first place, and a core ideal in its
functionality was to do everything archive module *should* do. Well,
except it still doesn't provide a mini calendar block, but that's
actually fairly easily to implement at this point, it just hasn't been done.