[development] Building $node->body with arrays like FAPI for viewing

Rob Barreca rob at electronicinsight.com
Fri Jul 14 16:37:52 UTC 2006

I'm talking about the displaying of nodes using PHPTemplate.  Right now
hook_nodeapi($op = 'view' or 'links' etc.) has a lot of modules adding
to the body like this

$node->body .= $output;

Maybe there is a module_setting to put it on TOP of the body or on the
BOTTOM.  But most modules just append.  When displaying the node, all of
that comes into $content in node.tpl.php.  So if you want to configure
that, you have to redo the whole body yourself.  Then, if you install
another module that adds to the node body through hook_nodeapi you have
to go manually add that to your node.tpl.php for each one.

If we constructed it like FAPI, with weights, etc.  We could allow
modifications of that right before calling render_body($node) or
whatever. So hook_nodeapi('view') could do something like

$body['mymodule']['extra_stuff_added_to_node'] = array(
        '#type' => 'markup',  // Any other possible values or is it
always markup?  What about adding quick forms to send to friend etc.?
        '#value' => '<div>Cool stuff added to end of node, but can be
removed or rearranged with hook_body_alter();</div>',
        '#weight' => 10, // or could even have
variable_get('mymodule_extra_stuff_added_to_node_weight, 10);
      );

We could even add comments this way and have much more flexibility to
configure when, where, and how items are added to the node body. Also,
configuring these options (value, weight) in _settings would be that
much easier. Then, with hook_body_alter we can mess with the weights,
values, remove just this ONE item without manually reconstructing
$content in our node.tpl.php.  Also, this could be applied to links I
believe.

This is something I deal with all the time and I'm very interested in
this behavior.  I'd like any input you guys have.

Thanks!

--

Rob Roy Barreca
Electronic Insight Corporation