[development] deletion API summary, question

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Jul 21 23:14:48 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 10:58, Chad Phillips -- Apartment Lines wrote:

> in working on the trashbin patch, i discovered that it's helpful to
> think of deletions as happening in packages.  when you delete a node,
> you don't just delete something from the node table--there are
> related node tables, then hook_delete calls, then nodeapi delete
> calls (and possibly other calls initiated from the last two in that
> list). deletions in drupal proceed from the top down, recursing until
> all items are deleted.  that's what i'm calling a package.
>
> my current work is based on that viewpoint. package deletions are
> started with a call to a helper function (called
> drupal_delete_package at the moment), all relevant deletion
> operations are passed into the package via drupal_delete, and then
> packages are deleted via another helper function
> (drupal_delete_execute).
>
> once a package is compiled, there are two hooks that are called:
>
> hook_delete_pre -- this is an opportunity for modules to throw
> objections to a package deletion.  any module calling this hook will
> have access to the information in the entire deletion package, and
> can throw two kinds of objections: confirm and abort.
>
> hook_delete_execute -- this is an opportunity for modules to perform
> any last minute operations before the package is deleted.  for
> example, a trashbin module would use this hook to store metadata
> about the package deletion.
>
> workflow is as follows:

*snip*

In OO circles, this is known as the Command Pattern, and is effectively THE
way to handle "undo" operations.  In an OO system, you don't do an action.
You instantiate a command object for said action with the data it needs, then
call ->execute() on it and push it onto a stack.  To undo, you simply pop off
the stack and call ->undo().  The object itself still "knows" how to undo
itself.

What you're calling a package sounds to me like a command object.  The single
command "Delete node 123" has a whole bunch of things inside it that have to
be done (delete/trash from various tables, run hooks, delete/move files on
disk, etc.)

Now I am NOT bringing back the "we should use OO classes and objects" debate,
nosir. :-)  I'm just wondering if there's some way we could leverage that
conceptual encapsulation here.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012