[development] LinksDB vs. Links

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Jul 28 20:58:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, July 28, 2006 2:21 pm, Syscrusher said:

> I hadn't planned for all of this to happen at once, but the result was
> that
> for about two months this spring I was averaging 60+ hour work weeks
> *plus*
> 10-15 hours per week of volunteer time as the nonprofit's CTO. Something
> had
> to give, and it was either Drupal or my marriage or my health -- and
> Drupal
> lost.

Sounds to me like you made the right decision. :-)

(And I do know the feeling.)

> I like the idea of stripping the admin function out into a separate module
> --
> it's a big chunk of code that (1) is not absolutely required and (2) could
> be
> contributed by someone else. I'll do that, and I'll go ahead then and tag
> the
> package for 4.7 as soon as this is done. That was a good suggestion, and
> I'm
> wise enough to know good advice when it whacks me on the nose. :-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Scott (Syscrusher)

The "in" thing these days for modules seems to be to split an
API-with-no-interface module out from an admin-customization module,
sometimes packaged together sometimes not.  (Views, VotingAPI, Location
(kinda), etc.)  That definitely seems a good way to go with it.  Even if
you just rip the admin section out to a separate module in the same
package that you don't actually make enable-able yet, that would (a) get
the main module out there and (b) be a good on-ramp for someone else to
step in and help with the admin sub-module.

Here's to your marriage and health. :-)

--Larry Garfield