[development] Modules page rework

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Sat Jul 29 17:20:56 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2006, at 18:00, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
>
>> looks like a big improvement to me. if you are into experimenting,  i
>> would try this out with just a table and no fieldsets. use  subtabs
>> for things like 'contrib', 'installed'. the default should  show lots
>> of modules i would think, like today.
>

> Here is WordPress' forthcoming plugin manager:
>
>   http://www.brokenkode.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Plugins.jpg
>
> My first impression is that it a lot easier to the eye than Earl's
> proposal.
>
>  - The module names are links that take you to the corresponding
> settings page.

This is an interesting idea. I'm not sure whether or not it's better
than having the settings be a separate link (because making the module
name a link doesn't make it clear -- to me, at least -- where it goes.)
That said, I also have no problems with it, and would happily implement
it that way if people like it.

>  - They are not using checkboxes but buttons.

I was originally going to change the checkboxes to buttons, but then I
realized: What if I want to enable 4 modules at once? Enabling them one
at a time would be kind of annoying.

My thoughts are that the data is very much the same, even almost in the
same order, but Drupal's default table theming is very harsh, while the
Wordpress theming is very soft, and extremely well laid out (I'll notice
that a lot of care was placed on the negative space on those pages) --
something that it takes someone with a really good eye + CSS/HTML
knowledge to really do right. That, to me, points to a dedicated
administrative theme (which I am pushing pretty hard as something we
could use.)