[development] Modules page rework

Adam Cooper Adam_Cooper at europe.pall.com
Mon Jul 31 08:57:49 UTC 2006

>On 29 Jul 2006, at 18:00, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
>> looks like a big improvement to me. if you are into experimenting,
>> i would try this out with just a table and no fieldsets. use
>> subtabs for things like 'contrib', 'installed'. the default should
>> show lots of modules i would think, like today.
>
>Here is WordPress' forthcoming plugin manager:
>
>   http://www.brokenkode.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Plugins.jpg
>
>My first impression is that it a lot easier to the eye than Earl's
>proposal.
>
>  - The module names are links that take you to the corresponding
>settings page.
>  - They are not using checkboxes but buttons.

I'm in agreement with Dries. It would be nice to look at the approach taken
by word press. Your current checkbox metaphor I think would confuse users
as it uses a context sensitive approach whereas most users are used to
checked = on/yes, not checked = off/no. If inactive modules were on a separate
page you may just get away with it (though people would no doubt apply
the active modules metaphor to the inactive modules. i.e. check to disable and
infact enable.) As it stands having two types of, identical looking, oppositely
behaving checkboxes on one page would cause pandemonium.

In summary, links to module settings don't hurt, and losing the checkboxes
would be a nice experiment.

Adam

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-
equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.3700.6699" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT size=1>
<HR>
</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=1>
This message may contain confidential or privileged information,
and is intended only for the addressee or other persons entitled
to access the information. If you are not the intended or
authorised recipient of this message please notify the sender by
return and then delete it from your mailbox. Any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of this communication without prior
permission is prohibited. Internet communications are not secure
and may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and
unauthorised amendment for which Pall Europe Limited does not
accept liability. Whilst we have taken all reasonable
precautions to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments have
been swept for viruses, Pall Europe Limited does not accept
liability for losses sustained as a result of software viruses.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Pall Europe Limited
unless otherwise specifically stated.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=1>
Registered Office and Corporate Headquarters: Pall Europe
Limited, Europa House, Havant Street, Portsmouth, PO1
3PD.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=1>
Registered No 769075, England. </FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=1>
<HR>
</FONT>
<P></P></BODY></HTML>