[development] developing book review -- two blocks or two modules?

blogdiva at culturekitchen.com blogdiva at culturekitchen.com
Fri Jun 2 14:51:24 UTC 2006

Hi,

Would you consider reconsidering this module as a whole purpose
review module following closely (but not the T), the shopping catalog
of a company like Amazon. Here's why :

Say I have a book called "Yoga for Drupal developers". The book
covers yoga, stress management, php and drupal.  For me as a
publisher, to capitalize on this review, I could run the book review
module with amazon items so that I can add to the page purchases
related to the book.

The problem is that, just like you say, you can only have one review
on a page. And worst for non-techies like me, the Amazon items
module, albeit a good idea in theory, has an effective execution
given that these items can only appear on the permalink page (not the
node or index page) of the acompanying node. Unless I code it by hand
(which I haven't tried yet), I cannot have those items running on a
sidebar either.

SoOoOoOoOo ...

The challenge would be to create a general purpose review page that
takes a page out of the bookreview module but kicks it up a notch by :

(1) allowing multiple reviews on a page

(2) making it easy to manage with CSS a block of sale items (so you
can choose to have them appear on the index page or permalink page)

(3) making it easy to generate a sideblock with X# of all the
reviewed items

(4) Hopefully use the Amazon API so that it easily pulls out ISBN,
images and links (just like the Amazon-Items module) but this time
with the option to show the prices (an option, BTW, that should be
controlled per/post not globally).

Now, if you really want to be a code hero, this module would organize
my paperwork, dust my library and calculate my tax returns :)

ON THAT NOTE : Here is a good example of why POLL should not be a
separate node. I should be able to write a post about X topic and
then run a poll about said topic immediately. This is becoming
standard in the SCOOP run blogging world and sorely needed by
bloggers like me using Drupal.

Actually, if it were up to me, modules like these would extend NODE,
not be separate modules. Everything should plug into NODE --polls,
events, surveys, reviews, forums, recipes, even dare I say gallery
images. The developers in Drupal think about the different technology
issues revolving around these modules but to us users, they are not
that different. What we want to do is :

(1) Write a blog entry
(2) Do it with the least amount of tech effort

Being able to go to one page  --ONE PAGE-- and click off choices of
what sections for a post  we want ( poll, review items, mass mailing,
etc ) and have that all generated in one page ... just the thought of
it makes my brain tingle.

Liza Sabater, Publisher
www.culturekitchen.com
www.dailygotham.com

TEL - 646.552.7365
AIM - cultkitdiva
SKYPE - lizasabater

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of
President George W. Bush and Vice-President Richard Cheney, for high
crimes and misdemeanors.