[development] Download statistics for core

Peter Kowalke peterlist at kowalke.info
Fri Jun 2 15:03:10 UTC 2006

People could be downloading 4.7 for sandbox fun only. No need to apply
security fixes if the version isn¹t ever going into production. What better
measure is there of use than the number who apply security patches? Of
course, foolish admins who don¹t fix security bugs do skew that data, sadly.

I¹d be curious to see how the numbers change if Drupal had a version check
on the admin section of each installation (like phpBB). If admins had a
clear warning they were using an insecure version, the security patch metric
probably would be a pretty good indication of production use.

-Peter