[development] Download statistics for core

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Fri Jun 2 16:29:02 UTC 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 8:45 AM, John Handelaar wrote:

> Probably the easiest way to "patch" is to get 4.7.2 and overwrite
> everything.

I recommended that Drupal 4.7 ship with a Patches directory.  In
interviews with administrators we found that it was taking from 20
hours to 40 hours to upgrade Drupal when you factored in absolutely
everything including feature  requests, testing, user training etc.
One of the reasons was that so many people had patched Drupal.

By adding a patches directory we encourage people running Drupal
sites to keep a set of patches that most likely apply against
security releases easily.   If we did add a patches directory it
would make it easier to recommend what John is suggesting.

Kieran