[development] Development focus

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Wed May 3 09:50:53 UTC 2006

On 03 May 2006, at 8:41 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:
>   1. Figure out a way to make it easy to install the CCK.  Having
> to enable 5-10 modules is annoying.  Having a better install
> system, with a build in dependency tracker, seems necessary.
I'm working on it, with the new dependencies module.

One of the things i really want to do is create 'library' packages.
Which are modules which don;t have to be enabled or disabled, they
are just enabled
as needed. Removing all that clutter from the interface. Meaning you
only have to enable the content module.

Another example of this would be all required core modules, and the
views module (as opposed to views_ui).

>   2. Creating a new content type is a multi-step process.
> Improving and extending the Forms API to make it easier to build
> wizards would be of tremendous help to get the CCK in core (but not
> strictly necessary).  Improving the user experience when creating
> node types, however, is necessary to get CCK in core.

I've been thinking about this too, and I think continuations are
likely the best way to do this.
CCK however forms part of what I would like to see FAPI 2.0 become.
Including merging the rendering of nodes and forms.
Part of FAPI 2.0 is to solve the wizard problem, and due to the
nature of the current FAPI (the merged model and view array),
it becomes harder than it needs to be to break forms onto multiple
pages, and could lead to very crufty code.

I will be writing a proper in depth description on FAPI after I
finish with dependencies.

--
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy