[development] Freezing the Drupal API

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Tue May 16 01:45:04 UTC 2006

> I know. This, along with "code is gold" is the Drupal mantra.

I, for one, do not fully agree with this mantra.

My view is that discussing something before hand, hashing out
the pros and cons with the community, design issues, alternatives,
APIs, and that gory stuff BEFORE writing code will give it a better
chance to be thought out, well designed, and has good chance
of getting committed.

Often writing code and then trying to get +1s on it getting committed
can be an energy drain.

Code can be gold, but can also be a waste of energy in some cases.

This is not to say that that model is always flawed, but sometimes it
is an overused mantra that has its drawbacks ...

So Richard, in this instance, I do agree with you.