[development] RFC: Candidate 'premium' modules

Gunnar Langemark gunnar at langemark.com
Tue May 16 04:29:22 UTC 2006

Bèr Kessels wrote:
> But indeed. We need more details: why is something critcal. Who decides. Who
> decides who can maintain critical modules.

This list of modules - does it mark a change in the "raison d'ètre" of
Drupal?
I mean - if Drupal is there for some developers to "scratch their itch"
- they must have developed one hell of an itch lately.
If some Contrib modules are so critical to release, that a release can't
be made until they're updated  isn't that because there are sites that
need these modules to be updated?
If they are so critical - then aren't they actually core? At least the
way core was seen in earlier releases?
Or are they simply part of coming "distributions" that take these
modules as part of a special purpose "package"?
And would that not mean that Drupal could indeed be released first - as
core - (with many or few modules inside core) - and the distributions
could follow -  with all the cool sets of modules?
I just ask.

2  very small c from
Gunnar