[development] Authmap explanation

Jeff Beeman doogieb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 23:28:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,
Been lurking on the list for a few weeks and I've finally worked up some
courage to ask a question :-)

I'm currently working on a very-much overhauled version of the CAS module
that incorporates LDAP data to pull users and user affiliation info from
these services and populate users and groups using the OG module(s).

It's working great and I've found module development to be very enjoyable,
however I've got a question:  Can someone explain authmap?

I seem to gather from the limited info I can
find<http://drupal.org/node/22268>that it's used to simple store user
data in another, possibly non-drupal
database on the same database server... am I right?  If so, how do I tell it
which table in that database, and which field in that table, maps to user
name, etc.?  Or, is it used to simply allow multiple drupal instances to use
the same user base?

If that's the case (just allow multiple instances to use the same users),
does anyone have advice on extending this capability to have it point at
completely unrelated services data?

Right now I'm simply telling it to store all the users as drupal users of
the local drupal instance.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

// Jeff Beeman

P.S. "Hi!" Lullabot folks, if you read this.  I love the podcast!