[development] Authmap explanation

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Thu Sep 7 16:32:40 UTC 2006

> I seem to gather from the limited info I can
> find<http://drupal.org/node/22268>that it's used to simple store user
> data in another, possibly non-drupal
> database on the same database server... am I right?  If so, how do I
> tell it
> which table in that database, and which field in that table, maps to user
> name, etc.?  Or, is it used to simply allow multiple drupal instances to
> use
> the same user base?

yes, it is a mapping between the drupal userid and an external userid. the
decision of what table and what column in the external system is entirely up
to the module which 'owns' the authmap record. see the 'module' column of
authmap table. that module has logic either hard coded or in settings about
connection details to foreign system. hope that makes sense.