[development] aggregator2 update path complete!

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 22:09:16 UTC 2007

I've taken a look at the proposed API, what exactly is it helping us do? I
saw the groups, but the only thing that I understood is that contributing to
them would be advocating a need for an aggregation API, which frankly, I
don't think is needed at all (I'm open to other opinions though if they're
valid and convincing). Would the current 3 or 4 aggregation modules have
been justified if they utilized an aggregation API?

There is, however, one thing that I did see as very wrong. A module
developer can't just throw away his work, create an alternative module, and
leave things behind as if they've never been. Creating a module that
everyone depends on is an ethical responsibility that needs to be
transferred to someone who can manage it when the original author can't work
on it anymore. What has been achieved with leech could have also been
achieved by updating aggregator2 to become leech (albeit retaining its
aggregator2 name) without neglecting its users. I'm trying to provide
positive criticism here. Mistakes are done all the time, it's simply human
nature. But let's make sure they aren't repeated, shall we?

IMHO, we should make it compulsive that every module developer post to the
mailing list before setting on a new module. This may prevent the
catastrophe of so much repeated modules and repeated code.