[development] Drupal 6 RC1 is out!

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Dec 21 00:03:52 UTC 2007

Hello World!

Yes, it is true. The first release candidate is out! Go, grab, test,
report bugs: http://drupal.org/drupal-6.0-rc1

I'd like to hand my special thanks to Keith Smith, with him we were
able to wrangle through the docs issue queue and fix and string freeze
issues we identified all day yesterday. Even run a final spell check
round to make sure everything is top-notch. This release becomes the
most spell checked and the most updated with help text ever in my
humble opinion. Note for the D7 maintainers: coordinate with feature
patches to get them documented right there, not right before RC1 :)

I wrote docs for translators and packaged a Drupal 6.0-1.0-rc1 release
for them with the templates: http://drupal.org/node/202631 RC1 is
string freeze, so whatever needs modifications in the strings is
generally postponed to Drupal 7. Let our translators have their happy
holidays and all free time filled with Drupal 6 work, so foreign
language users can enjoy Drupal 6 localized right when it is released.

We still have critical bugs left in the queue. This also means that we
have gone with open critical bugs, so strictly speaking, this RC will
surely not be the final release. However, the move from beta to RC
means that translators will be at work and that we will be more strict
in what's accepted. Please note that when we fix whatever small
looking bug, we might introduce any number of new
bugs, as it happened to us multiple times. So let's concentrate on the
critical bugs, and accept the fact that there will be a release after
Drupal 6, which will welcome your improvements.

Bookmark this:
http://drupal.org/project/issues?projects=3060&categories=bug,task&priorities=1&states=1,8,13,14&versions=97368,184399,175832,194287,198188,202820

Hope this becomes a nice pre-christmas package to all.

Gabor