[development] CVS branch work best practices?

AjK drupal at f2s.com
Fri Feb 2 13:14:27 UTC 2007

Bèr

my 2p worth

Here's how I work it. Using your "tree" as an example.

After I create the DRUPAL-5 branch I continue work in there and never touch
HEAD. In fact, I delete all files from my HEAD, see why in a moment.

Then, as I progress down D-5 branch I may tag DRUPAL-5--1-x for a bug fix
release or DRUPAL-5--2-x for a feature release. I don't bother porting these
to HEAD yet like you are doing.

My devel continues like that. Then, at some point, when I have my head
around chx's, webchick's and eaton's et al latest greatest patches I
consider, is it time to stop adding features to DRUPAL-5-x branch and switch
to "bug fix this branch only" ?

If yes, then I copy my latest greatest effort out DRUPAL-5 branch to HEAD.
DRUPAL-5 is now in bug fix only mode.

Now, in HEAD, I start porting to DRUPAL CORE HEAD. There's no point adding
features here as we are probably in code freeze anyway and we're all
upgrading like mad.

Then, DRUPAL-6 comes along. Branch my module, wipe HEAD (till next code
freeze) and continue devel down the DRUPAL-6 branch.

That's how I do it. HEAD itself isn't anything special imho. It's the HEAD
of your current active branch that's important.

</2p worth>

--Andy (AjK)