[development] Tracking modules via CVS, WAS: Re: CVS branch work best practices?

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Feb 4 16:05:10 UTC 2007

Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Adrian Simmons <adrinux at perlucida.com> wrote:
>>

>> Should I just be moving to grabbing the tgz from the web page instead of
>> using cvs?
>
> That is, in my opinion, the best thing to do if you want a reliable
> version without having to know the "right" branch for each individual
> module.
>
>> to pull the latest stable release of a module or theme from CVS right? It
>> now depends entirely on how the maintainer is working?
>
> Pretty much.

Yeah, this is a somewhat annoying point about the new release system.
Until 4.7 you could rely on that a responsible maintainer would keep
4.7-HEAD in a usable state. Now he might do development there and only
the tagged releases are usable and might not have the same
requirements/APIs.

I've wanted to write a script that does at east finds out which tags
exist to any given branch, but didn't get around to it.

Cheers,
	Gerhard