[development] should tinymce get a new maintainer tinymce

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Mon Feb 5 20:01:01 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Kevin Reynen <kreynen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Was there a decision made about co-maintainers?   I didn't follow that
> thread to its conclusion.  I would be willing deal with the backlog in
> the issue/support queue until a decision can be made about the long
> term direction if it helps avoid bypassing the .js files.  I think we
> can find a solutions that restore the 4.7 functionality without
> comprimising on long term compatibility with TinyMCE framework.

No "decision" because we haven't faced such a situation before. We
have the technical ability to make people co-maintainers, but still
haven't had any discussion with drupal-id.com.

I reluctantly agree that we need to move forward. Maybe, in a strange
twist of fate, take over TinyMCE Plus? Allie, looking for a plus one
from you on this.

> I think if the hack I wrote last night can be flushed out as a patch
> that restores the GUI role based customization, that will go along way
> towards putting out this fire.  Another thing that might help is a
> dojo-style video showing users how to customize their theme .js.  I
> think I can get a someone to do that in the next day or 2.

As Gerhard (!!) pointed out elsewhere, editing js files are too high
of a barrier for many users. Particularly the target users of a
WYSIWYG editor....

> Hopefully that will give drupal-id a chance to share his thoughts.  It
> may turn out that drupal-id isn't up to the task of maintaining the
> TinyMCE module and we have no option but to revert the the patched 4.7
> version, but I'd like the discussion to be driven by the long term
> benefits of each direction rather than the short term issue of a large
> number of very vocal users who don't want to edit a comma separated
> lists.

Would be great if you got in touch with him. As stated, zero responses
so far, including ones from the infrastructure team asking to update
his email address.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747